Written by: Rubab Ali
In this article, you will know:
- What is Mass Communication
- Mass Communication is the study of how to communicate effectively with a large audience. It is closely related to, but distinct from, Journalism. In Mass Communication, rather than emphasizing the individual story or article, we analyze the way information flows through the media and society. We focus on the role of news organizations, social media platforms (such as Twitter and Facebook), content producers, public relations companies, and other mass communication channels in society.
- Everyone has exposure to mass communication throughout their lives: whether it’s seeing an advertisement for a product you want on television or reading a news story that has an impact on your daily life. Mass Communication helps students understand how these messages are developed and delivered to us every day. The field draws from many academic disciplines including psychology, sociology, history, rhetoric and politics. In the past two decades there has been a surge in academic research in this area—something which makes Mass Communication uniquely suited to prepare you for any career track that may interest you in the future.
- Mass Communication as an academic discipline developed out of the fields of journalism, public relations, advertising and other forms of communication. As a major in college, it requires students to take what they have learned in one or more of these areas and combine them into one coherent curriculum. Some schools offer a degree for undergraduate students and another for graduate students.
- Jobs of Mass Communication in Pakistan
- Salary of Journalist in Pakistan
- Find Out This Field is a Match for You
What is Mass Communication and What Do Journalist Do?
Mass communication is the process of exchanging information through mass media to large segments of the population. In other words, mass communication refers to imparting and exchanging information on a large scale to a wide range of people.
Generally, the people who study Mass Communication ends up becoming a journalist for different news channels in the country.
What Are the Required Skills in Mass Communication?
One should have excellent skills to work with any member of the team, especially editor, producer, and designer. Should have the ability to create any story keeping in mind his viewer’s, listener’s and follower’s interest.
One should have the ability to extract beneficial information from a recent important happening. One should be disciplined and punctual, especially to make a story in a short time.
These are the skills that lack in fresh graduates in Pakistan
- Verbal Communication (83.63%)
- Positive Attitude (71.93%)
- Team Working (64.91%)
- Critical Thinking (59.06%)
- Self Confidence (59.06%)
- Written Communication (57.31%)
- Drive &Resilience (57.31%)
- Stress Tolerance (47.37%)
- Adaptability (46.20%)
- Time Management (45.61%)
- Self-Awareness (45.03%) and Planning &Organizing (45.03%)
- Integrity (43.86%)
What Are the Career Prospects of Mass Communication?
It is a benefit to have expertise over translation, along with writing. This can increase your demand in the market as the majority of Pakistani journalism jobs are based on the translation. Newspapers, weekly or monthly magazines, and television HR need a translator for their websites and TV channels.
He works especially for television or radio. Broadcast Journalist mostly researches and writes an unusual happening, and they are mainly presented as proper shows on television and radio.
He decided information, thoughts, or opinions about different people or happenings to people. During this process, research is made to know the truth.
Weekly or monthly magazines related to one topic are still famous amongst people. These magazines are more detailed, informative, and exciting than newspapers. Therefore, a magazine journalist requires more research and information. In the 21st century, topics related to politics or business are liked more. Due to this reason, journalist pertaining to these subjects has more market value.
Unlimited online magazines are available on the internet on different topics. Their demand is increasing as they are less costly than hard magazines. An online journalist should have the necessary skills in Information Technology in addition to research and review. And should have experience of working on different media like video and sound software. In Pakistan, this field is not much famous/ known.
What Are the Important Points To Be a Journalist?
- Communicating with people
- Social Media
- Information Technology.
- Minimum Ability:
Usually, they work on a single project. A project can consist of some hours or months. Mostly, one has to let go off his weekly holidays for this project. If the need arises, one has to visit other cities or countries.
If the due date is approaching, then one has to work overtime to complete the task, and this is usual for newspaper and television. Sometimes, one has to work on dangerous places like a war zone or in natural disasters.
What is the Mass Communication Salary in Pakistan?
You can find Mass Communication jobs in Pakistan from
- Health Care (Rs. 100,000 per month)
- FMCG (Rs. 85,571 per month)
- Home Appliances (Rs. 75,000 per month)
- Engineering (Rs. 75,000 per month)
- Group/Conglomerate (Rs. 71,676 per month)
- IT/Technology (Rs. 61,676 per month)
- Textile (Rs. 55,000 per month)
- Transport (Rs. 55,000 per month)
- Banking/Financial (Rs. 52,042 per month)
- Consulting (Rs. 52,042 per month)
- Manufacturing (Rs. 50,000 per month)
- Packaging (Rs. 50,000 per month)
What is the Future of Mass Communication Jobs in Pakistan?
Go to Tool>Select Within 24 Hours, past week etc . You will be the first to apply for the job hence more chances for the job getting in the industry.
What are the Universities in Pakistan Offering Admissions in Mass Communication?
|1. Gomal University||D.i. Khan|
|2. Government College University, Faisalabad||Faisalabad|
|3. University Of Gujrat||Gujrat|
|4. Allama Iqbal Open University||Islamabad|
|5. National University Of Modern Languages, Islamabad||Islamabad|
|6. National University Of Science &Technology||Islamabad|
|7. University Of Sindh||Jamshoro|
|8. Federal Urdu University Of Arts Science &Technology, Karachi||Karachi|
|9. University Of Karachi||Karachi|
|10. Lahore College For Women University||Lahore|
|11. Virtual University Of Pakistan||Lahore|
|12. Virtual University Of Pakistan||Lahore|
|13. The Women University||Multan|
|14. Balochistan University Of It &Management Sciences||Quetta|
|15. University Of Sargodha||Sargodha|
|16. Gift University||Gujranwala|
|17. Riphah International University||Islamabad|
|18. Shaheed Benazir Bhutto Dewan University||Karachi|
|19. Forman Christian College||Lahore|
|20. Lahore Garrison University||Lahore|
In order to find the department of Mass Communication in any university, just type Mass Communication+ university name like
What is the Trend of Mass Communication in Pakistan?
Did you like the article? Do you feel something is missing in the article that I should write about? Leave your comment below, it means a lot to me 🙂