Belgium is a popular destination for international students seeking to study abroad, thanks to its high quality of education and multicultural environment.
Belgium is another option if you are looking for a good study abroad destination and students from all around the globe visit Belgium for higher education because of its recognition and reputation.
Belgium is located on the Western side of Europe. The thing about Belgium is that you will find a diverse array of the population living and residing in Belgium. You will notice French, German, Turkish, Romanian, Spanish, Portuguese and Bulgarian students studying in Belgian Universities. Universities in Belgium offer a wide range of English taught degree programs for International students but the main medium of education remains Dutch or French.
Related: Study In the France For Pakistani Students
The higher education institutes in Belgium are known to excel in all educational streams ensuring that the students gain inclusive knowledge, mastery and skills in their practical lives. If you are studying in Belgium, it will not only upraise your career prospects but also become a source for self-enhancement and enrichment in many fields of life.
Belgium Top Universities
|Université catholique de Louvain||Louvain-la-Neuve||170|
|Vrije Universiteit Brussel||Brussels||195|
|Université libre de Bruxelles||Brussels||213|
Admission Requirements of Belgium Universities for Pakistani Students
- Admissions granted to students in Belgium Universities are granted wholly on merit basis.
- You will receive all the right details on the admission procedure once you submit your application form online.
- At least 72% overall grades in the previous academic results are required for admission in undergraduate and postgraduate degree programs.
- You will be required to prove your proficiency in the language which is the medium of instruction.
- The minimum band required in IELTS is 6.5.
- The minimum grade should be C which is accepted in Belgium Universities.
- The minimum academic requirements vary from university to university.
- The minimum grade should be 80% overall for admission in degrees such as medical, IT, veterinary, business studies and business management.
- The universities in Belgium have their own entry requirements, SAT and ACT tests are also mandatory for entry requirements for admissions by many Belgian Universities.
Student Visa of Belgium Process for Pakistani Students
- If you meet the academic eligibility of getting into admission, you will receive an acceptance letter from the hosting university.
- This acceptance and offer letter serve as an invitation letter from the university and the next step would be the submission of fee and applying for a student visa.
- You will have to visit the embassy of Belgium or Consulate in your home country in order to get details about the student visa.
- International students applying in Belgium Universities are required to submit the following documents:
- The valid passport of the student (it must be valid until your entire study period)
- A completed student visa application of Belgium
- Your medical examination certificates
- The bank statement (confirming that you have enough financial resources to assist your living and study expenses in Belgium)
- Authentic transcript of Academic records
- A clearance letter from the local police officer stating that you do not have any criminal record against you
- Language Proficiency Test Certificate
- Proof of Accommodation in Belgium (the address of your residential area)
- Receipt of Paid Tuition Fee and Original Acceptance Letter from University
Permanent Residency Visa of Belgium for Pakistani Students
If you want to attain permanent residency in Belgium, it wholly depends on your employment contract from any Belgium company or firm. You can extend your student visa (A card) duration for more than 12 months if you are looking for a job.
During this time period, you can do part-time jobs in order to bear your expenses and even post CV’s at firms according to the degree you are studying. There are about 3 types of Resident Permit Cards which will be applicable to candidates only if they are employed and according to their employment contract, professional skills, intellect and qualification.
Related: Study In the Bulgaria For Pakistani Students
If you have lived in Belgium for one whole year without any interruption, you can apply for permanent residency there. Note that your stay in the country is totally legal and you have not disappeared from the country in this duration.
The permanent residency options applicable for International candidates are as follows:
- Electronic residence card type B
- Electronic residence card type C
- Electronic residence card type D
Study and Living Expenditure in Belgium for International Students
The admission in postgraduate study program the per year tuition fee will be around 1000 to 4000 Euros for non-EU students. It is to be noted that admission for EU and non-EU nationals is different from each other.
A great thing about Belgium is that it provides scholarship opportunities to encourage and facilitate international students to enroll into the universities on the basis of merit and academic excellence which is assessed by conducting entrance examinations.
In Belgium, there are about 3 regions and universities of each region differ in their tuition fee charges.
For example, in Walloon Region of Belgium, a full-time postgraduate study program will cost around 850 Euros annually, in Flemish Region the tuition fee will be nearly 2500 Euros for a postgraduate program whereas in Brussels Region, the tuition fee will be higher than other regions.
Belgium is known to be one of the most affordable countries situated in Europe. In order to manage their day to day expenses, students can work part-time jobs by gaining working permission from the government which has controlled minimum per hour wage.
Brussels, Antwerp, Ghent and Leuven which are urban cities are more on the expensive side to live in but most of the universities are also situated in these cities. The rent of the accommodation varies with the location of the place, furnishing and non-furnishing of the place.
- University Resident Halls Monthly Rent: in 200 to 400 Euros
- Private Room in Flat or Apartment Monthly Rent: 500 Euros
- Two Bedrooms Apartment Monthly Rent: 700 to 1000 Euros
Scholarships and financial aid
There are several scholarships and financial aid options available to Pakistani students who wish to study in Belgium. Here are some of them:
- Belgian Government Scholarships: The Belgian government offers scholarships to international students, including those from Pakistan. The scholarships cover tuition fees, living expenses, and travel costs.
- Erasmus Mundus Scholarships: The Erasmus Mundus program offers scholarships to international students who wish to study in Europe. The program covers tuition fees, living expenses, and travel costs.
- University Scholarships: Many universities in Belgium offer scholarships and financial aid to international students. These scholarships can cover tuition fees, living expenses, and other costs associated with studying in Belgium.
- Private Scholarships: Private organizations also offer scholarships to international students. These scholarships may be based on academic merit, financial need, or other criteria.
- Loans: Pakistani students may also be eligible for student loans to help cover the cost of tuition fees and living expenses while studying in Belgium. These loans may be offered by banks or other financial institutions.
It’s important to note that scholarship and financial aid options may vary depending on the institution and program of study. Pakistani students should research all available options and apply for as many scholarships and financial aid opportunities as possible to help cover the cost of studying in Belgium.
Part-Time Work for International Students
Students can work part-time as per government rules in Belgium during their university years. Before working, students are supposed to get a work permit which will be valid for a year at first but can be renewed accordingly for another year keeping in view the duration of the study program.
Students will be required to go through the following procedure in order to attain a work permit.
- File application for Work Permit C Type at Department of Economic Migration
- Submit Required Documents (The list of documents required to attain work permit C type of Belgium for part-time work are enlisted above)
The students who have obtained their work permit will have the benefit and all the rights that an indigenous employee does. During semesters, part-time working hours are 20 per week and full-time working hours are only allowed during summer break.
He is an SEO wizard and founder of Top Study World & Nafran, has been featured more times than a celebrity on Ahrefs, Semrush, Dawn News, Propakistani and dozens more. His superpower? Helping students ace their exams!