By Aleena Hussain
Want a degree from Europe?
Ever thought about studying in Bulgaria?
Did you know Bulgaria is the hotspot for Pakistani students to gain an MBBS degree internationally?
Dive below into the complete guide on Study Abroad in Bulgaria for Pakistani Students!
Introduction to Bulgaria
Ahead of Pakistan by 2 hours, Bulgaria is situated in South-Eastern Europe.
The capital city of Bulgaria is Sofia and its currency is Bulgarian Lev.
This former Russian state is blessed with a diverse terrain and weather conditions much like that of Pakistan.
Tourists from all over the world are attracted to its vast greenery, snow-capped mountains, beautiful beaches and flowing rivers.
Did you know Bulgaria has River Danube which is one of the biggest rivers in Europe?
The neighbouring countries of Bulgaria are Turkey, Serbia, Macedonia, Romania and Greece.
Bulgaria meets the coastal line of the Black Sea. This European nation is mainly enlightened by the Ottoman, Persian, Greek and Slavic rich cultures.
Bulgaria is part of the proud member of the European Union and the North Atlantic Treaty Organisation (NATO).
With a strong economy, beautiful landscape and quality education, Bulgaria is the best study abroad destination for Pakistani students.
Education in Bulgaria
Bulgaria is part of the European Credit Transfer System (ECTS) which encourages international exchange students.
The Bulgarian institutions open admissions in twice a year during:
- Summer Semester
- February to July
- Winter Semester
- September to February
Other than English, if you are comfortable in French, Bulgarian and German, you can opt to study in these languages. However, Pakistani students typically prefer English as a general source of education.
First, you need to consult an agent regarding your choice of Bulgarian University and educational program relevant to your previous degree and professional interest.
Pakistani students usually tend to apply in degree programs of medical science, engineering science, computer science, and arts and humanities studies in Bulgaria.
A majority of the Pakistani students apply in the below universities of Bulgaria:
- Sofia Medical University
- Plovdiv Medical University
- New Bulgarian University, Technical University
- University of Sofia
Bulgarian Scholarships for Pakistani Students
If you worry about educational support financially, do not be disheartened.
There are numerous scholarships programs offered for the aid of ambitious students like:
- National Student Loan Service Centre
- Full Bright Scholarships Program
- Erasmus scholarships
- AEF Scholarships program
- Josef Princ Memorial Scholarships program
- Polatajko Family Scholarships program
Admission Requirements for Bulgarian Institutes by Pakistani Students
- Copies of complete previous academic record
- Duly filled application form
- Medical fitness certificate obtained not less than a month ago before submission
- Copies of accurate travelling records (passport and identity card)
- Required photographs
- English language proficiency test certificates (as required by the University i.e., TOEFL, IELTS)
- A financial statement depicting that you have sufficient wealth to cover all your tuition and living expenses in Bulgaria
- For admission in Bachelor’s degree program, you must have obtained a minimum of 62% marks in your secondary school report card
- For admission in Masters degree program, you must have a 4 years Bachelors degree with a passing of a minimum of 72%
- For admission in the doctoral program, you should have passed 16 years of education with a good grade in the Bulgarian grading system where the maximum grade is 06 marks
Bulgarian Study Visa for Pakistani Students
Soon as you get your Acceptance Letter from your desired Bulgarian University, you have to apply for the study visa of Bulgaria, known as the D-Type Visa.
You can apply for this through any Bulgarian Diplomatic Mission.
It is valid for 3 to 6 months and you have to obtain a residence permit on arrival in Bulgaria.
The application cost of D-Type Visa is 100 EUR. It takes about 14 to 30 days to process your study visa.
- Accurately filled visa application form
- Acceptance/Offer Letter by the Bulgarian University
- Identification documents
- Medical health insurance certificate
- Bank statement depicting proof of paid academic fee
- Copy of a returned air ticket
- Travel documents
- Power of Attorney Notary Certificate in case if you are below the age of 18 years
- Police Clearance Certificate (if required)
Tuition Fee of Bulgarian Universities
For a Bachelor degree, your estimated educational fee will be around 2,900 EUR to 3,900 EUR.
For a Postgraduate degree, your estimated educational fee will be around 3,000 EUR to 3,900 EUR.
For a doctoral degree, your approximate educational fee will be around 4,000 EUR to 8,000 EUR.
Bulgarian Accommodation Expenses for Pakistani Students
From food, transportation, entertainment to rent and utility bills, on average you will have to pay 150 to 200 EUR a month in Bulgaria.
It is advisable to live in a university dormitory or on-campus accommodation to save up. This will cost you around 70 to 100 EUR per month.
However, if you prefer to live in privately rented flats, the estimated expense is between 150 to 300 EUR monthly.
Working Opportunities for Students Abroad in Bulgaria
To get paid work along with your studies, you must obtain a residence/work permit in Bulgaria which is to be renewed every year.
To attain the residence permit, Pakistani students have to pay 230/250 EUR, 5 EUR aa the application fee and 22.5 EUR for the ID Card.
You can get this permit on arrival by visiting and registering yourself in any police station of Bulgaria.
You are allowed to work for a maximum of 20 hours a week and more hours during vacations.
You can earn 3.37 Bulgarian Lev per hour on average by doing part-time jobs to support and cover your living expenses.
After completing your studies, you can apply for permanent residency and citizenship through investment, long time stay or origin.
Why Study in Bulgaria?
- High-quality education
- Career opportunities in Europe
- Globally recognised and applauded educational institutions of Bulgaria
- Contrast weather conditions in Bulgaria just like in Pakistan extended with sunny beaches and snowy mountains
- Good scholarships and student loan options
- Low crime rate as compared to other European countries