Studying abroad in Austria can be a great opportunity for Pakistani students to gain international education and exposure.
When you decide to go abroad for studying further, you are thinking to go to new bounds in order to attain higher education in well renowned and globally acclaimed universities. This does not only help you with your knowledge and experiences but also with job prospects.
Studying abroad can be a tough decision and an expensive one too. There are numerous options available for students who want to study abroad, Austria being one of them.
Austria is a landlocked country located in Central Europe. It is bordered by Germany to the northwest, the Czech Republic to the north, Slovakia to the northeast, Hungary to the east, Slovenia and Italy to the south, and Switzerland and Liechtenstein to the west. The capital of Austria is Vienna, which is also the country’s largest city.
Austria has a rich cultural heritage and is known for its architecture, music, art, and literature. It is also famous for its Alpine scenery, with the Austrian Alps covering over 60% of the country’s territory. Austria is a member of the European Union and uses the euro as its currency.
The official language of Austria is German, but other languages such as English and Italian are also widely spoken. The country has a high standard of living and is known for its excellent healthcare and education systems. The economy of Austria is driven by manufacturing, technology, and tourism.
Austria is home to many famous landmarks and attractions, including Schönbrunn Palace, the Hofburg Palace, the Vienna State Opera, the Salzburg Festival, and the ski resorts of the Austrian Alps. The country is also known for its cuisine, which features dishes such as Wiener Schnitzel, Sachertorte, and Apfelstrudel.
Austria Top Universities
|University of Vienna||Vienna||154|
|Vienna University of Technology||Vienna||198|
|Vienna University of Technology||Graz||278|
|Johannes Kepler University Linz||Linz||338|
|University of Innsbruck||Innsbruck||375|
Why Pakistani Students Should Study in Austria?
- The accommodation and living expenses in Austria are very reasonable. This is because of the government assurance that no citizen or ex-pat has to pay more than 25% of his/her income on rent.
- The available of post-graduation options for students are readily available for students according to their academic profiles, expertise and working skills.
- Austria’s quality of education is no less than the UK or Germany.
- German is usually spoken in Austria but the institutes offer a plethora of courses in English medium.
Admissions in Austrian Universities for Pakistani Students:
Pakistani students who wish to study in Austrian universities must meet the admission requirements of the respective universities. Here are the general steps for admission:
- Research: Pakistani students should research the universities and programs they are interested in and check the admission requirements for international students.
- Language Proficiency: As most universities in Austria offer courses in German, Pakistani students should have a good level of proficiency in German language. However, some universities offer courses in English as well. Students should check the language requirements for the programs they are interested in.
- Apply for Admission: Students can apply for admission to Austrian universities online through the university’s website or through the OeAD database. They must submit their academic transcripts, language proficiency certificates, and other required documents. They must also pay the application fee.
- Wait for Response: The university will review the application and notify the student of the admission decision. If accepted, the student will receive an admission letter.
- Apply for Student Visa: Pakistani students must obtain a student visa to study in Austria. They can apply for a visa at the Austrian embassy or consulate in Pakistan. They must provide the admission letter and other required documents to obtain the visa.
- Arrive in Austria: Once the visa is obtained, Pakistani students can travel to Austria and register at the university. They must provide the admission letter, visa, and other required documents to complete the registration process.
For the admission procedure, you will require the following documents:
- Academic transcripts
- A recommendation letter from your professors
- A letter of intent which will be written by you explaining why you have chosen the particular degree, pursuing your career
- A certificate of language proficiency test of either English or German. This depends on whichever medium of instruction you have selected and filled your application in.
It is important for Pakistani students to follow the admission requirements carefully and apply well in advance of the start date of the program. They should also check for scholarship opportunities and apply accordingly.
Once you have filled out the application form and are selected for the program, you will be sent an acceptance letter from the university which will give you all the right details about your tuition fee or scholarship availability. They will also require that you verify your documents from the Austrian embassy located in your country.
Updated Student Visa of Austria Guide for Pakistani Students
- Those students who have successfully gotten admission into any Austrian University which has a duration of 6 months will be granted a student visa.
- For those students who have gotten admission into an Austrian institute in a study program with a duration of more than 6 months will be issued a student resident permit of Austria.
- In order to get a student visa or a resident permit for students, you need to make sure that the university you are taking admission in is compliant with the Austrian government.
- You need to provide your valid travel documents (passport and national identity card), proof of your accommodation in Austria during your stay, proof of paid tuition fee, a clearance letter from the police stating that you have not been involved in any kind of criminal activity and you have no criminal charge registered against you, your Bank statement providing proof that you have enough financial resources in order back your study expenses and language proficiency test certificate.
How to Get Permanent Residency in Austria
There are about 6 immigration programs introduced by the Austrian government. These are wholly based on skills, education and employment eligibility of the applicant. The students studying there can extend their stay for up to 12 months in order to find employment.
Once you are employed and have a job contract, you get eligible for one the programs and get Red-White-Red Card and are paid accordingly.
Once you have gotten this card, you are eligible to gain all the state privileges and sanctions except for the right to vote. If you manage to stay in Austria for 8 years without interruption, it makes you eligible to apply for citizenship of Austria provided that you issue a clearance letter from the local police stating that you have been a reasonable and responsible resident throughout your stay in the country.
Living Expenses and Study Expenses Austria for International Students
People think that Austria may be an expensive country as it is in Europe but in reality, it is way more reasonable and affordable to live in Austria than to live in any other famous European countries like UK and Ireland etc.
A student studying in any Austrian University is expected to pay around 1450 Euros per year for a post-graduation study degree program. The University of Vienna is the top-ranked university of Austria consequently serves to be the most expensive one. You can expect to pay around 700 Euros per semester in the University of Vienna.
The public sector universities offer a considerably low-cost fee annually contrary to private universities which are quite expensive.
Austria is an inexpensive country to live in despite being a popular study abroad and a tourist destination. You are expected to pay 300 to 500 Euros per month including bills which is quite cheaper owing to the fact that Austria is one of the richest countries in the world.
Private housing is also not expensive as you are expected to pay 300 to 500 Euros with almost the same facilities as dormitories but the good thing is that you will have your privacy. Food is expensive especially in winters when finding fresh vegetables and fruits gets short due to weather.
A student requires approximately 800 to 1000 Euros per month to bear his/her living expenses, on average.
Latest Student Jobs in Austria for Pakistani Students
The work permit is applied by your employer on your behalf if you are provided with an employment contract. You will be able to avail all the employment benefits including paid holidays, sick leaves by registering your employment contract with local authorities and protection against unlawful and uninformed dismissal from a job.
The wage will be decided by the Austrian government and you will be paid accordingly. Students doing Masters are allowed to work for 20 hours a week and Bachelors students are allowed to work for 10 hours a week. There are numerous job options for students in Austria. A student can earn 800 to 1000 Euros per month, on average.