Introduction to PMA
Pakistan Officers Training Academy commonly known as Pakistan Military Academy is situated close to Kakul, Abbottabad. PMA was established 72 years ago on 14th August, 1947 with the independence of Pakistan. PMA’s motto is “Men at their best”. The academy currently has an academic staff of 3000-4000.
The academy is credited with NUST University for providing academic training to its cadets. PMA has four training battalions and 16 companies out of which the 4th battalion was inaugurated by Chief of Army Staff Gen Raheel Sharif on 10th October, 2016.
Many cadets from close allies of Pakistan are sent to PMA for premier training and development. Whereas, approximately 2,000 guests from 34 countries visit PMA every year.
Types and Categories of Services
You can join Pakistan Army through four distinct categories:-
1. Regular Commission:- It includes PMA Long Course (LC), Graduate Course, Technical Cadet Course (TCC), AM Cadet Course and AFNS (BSc Nursing)
2. Short Service Regular Commission:– It includes GDMOs and Classified/ Specialists
3. Direct Short Service Commission:- It includes Lady Officers (Women Commission), Psychologists, Signals – ICTOs and Army Education Corps
4. Soldier Recruitment:– It includes the recruitment for Soldier ranks.
Parallel Courses running in PMA:
There are 5 parallel courses running in PMA. Their brief description is as follows:
- PMA Long Course LC
It is for regular commission officers of combat and combat support arms & services. It’s duration is two years divided in four terms of 6 months each. After completion of duration the cadets are awarded with the rank of 2nd Lieutenants.
- PMA Graduate Course
It is for graduated candidates. This course has a military training of one year. After completion of duration the cadets are awarded with the rank of 2nd Lieutenants or Captains depending upon their education.
- Technical Cadet Course TCC
Cadets who want to be part of Pakistan Army as Engineers take this course. They must have an education of 12 years with Chemistry, Physics and Mathematics. Successful selected candidates are sent to different public or private sector institutions which are part of NUST, depending upon their choice of field.
These cadets are called E- Cadets after completion of Bachelor of Engineering degree. E- Cadets are sent to PMA for a training of one year after which they are awarded with the rank of Captains in their respective units.
- Integrated Course IC
Candidates should have preferably 18, other 16 years education with Chemistry, Biology and Physics. Candidates who pass initial tests and GHQ tests conducted by the Army are sent to Army Medical College AMC or Bachelor of Dental Surgery BDS. After completion of their degree, the cadets undergo military training of 22 weeks in PMA Kakul.
- PMA Lady Cadet’s Course LCC
This course is taken by bachelor or master qualified ladies who are professional in their fields. They undergo a military training of 6 months and pass out as Captains.
Who is Eligible for PMA?
- Physical Standards for the following categories will be same:
|Height||5 feet 4 inch (162.5 cms)|
|Weight||As per body mass index|
- Visual Standard
|Distant Vision||With glasses 6/9, 6/12|
|Near vision||J2, J7 or N8, N12 with or without glasses|
- Eligibility Criteria
|Course/ Training||Category||Marital Status||Age|
|PMA Long Course||• Intermediate or Equivalent with minimum 60% marks• Candidates from AJK, FATA, Gilgit Baltistan and Northern areas with minimum 55% marks||Must be unmarried||17- 22 years (Up to 3 months relaxation)|
|PMA Long Course||• Graduation (2 Years) and Serving Pak Army & PAF Personnel||UnmarriedMarried PAF Servants aging more than 20 years||17- 23 years|
|PMA Long Course||• Graduation (4 years)BA/ BS/ BSc/ BBA||Must be unmarried||18- 24 years|
|PMA Long Course||• Serving Army Soldiers||UnmarriedMarried with age more than 20 years||17- 25 years|
- Eligibility Criteria for Physical Fitness
|1.6 km running||7 1/2 minutes|
|Push ups||15 repetitions in 2 minutes|
|Sit ups||15 repetitions in 2 minutes|
|Chin ups||3 repetitions in 2 minutes|
Who is Ineligible for PMA Long Course?
A candidate will be ineligible for PMA if he is:
- Twice screen out by ISSB
- Rejected from ISSB/ GHQ Selection Board- twice
- Declared medically unfit by an Appeal Medical Board (Army)
- Enrolled Cadets previously discharged/ withdrawn/ resigned/ dismissed from Army/ Navy/ Airforce (Armed Forces) for violating discipline, failure in academics/ military subjects, medical inefficiency, weak profile or other grounds or receiving character certificate ” fair”.
- Convicted from the court of law for any impropriety
- Dismissed/ Terminated from any Government service
How to Apply for PMA Long Course?
Twice a year ( after six months) Pakistan Army opens its inductions to recruit cadets for PMA. The advertisement is displayed in the newspaper as well as on the official website of Pak Army. The desirous candidates should stay updated for the upcoming inductions.
Candidates can apply online and get registered for Preliminary test by visiting the official website of Pak Army official website
- It is mandatory for candidates to have an e- mail account as date and time for the test will be updated on the internet.
- Candidates must have knowledge of computer usage.
- Fresh candidates will bring PKR 100/- with the original certificates on the test day.
- Repeaters will bring PKR 50/- with the original certificates on the test day.
Registration at Army Selection & Recruitment Centres AS&RC
- Candidates can reach out to the AS&RCS of their nearest or respective city (Peshawar, Rawalpindi, Lahore, Karachi, Multan, Haiderabad, Quetta and Gilgit) with the registration fee PKR 200/- and require documents to get themselves registered.
- Fee of repeaters is PKR 100/-
Registration/ Test for Northern Areas:
- Tests and Registration of candidates of Northern areas will be conducted manually.
- Candidates should communicate with the AS&RC of Gilgit
What are the Required Documents at AS&RCS?
- SSC detailed marks sheet (original of 9th and 10th). In case the original marks sheet is not yet issued, a certificate from the respective Education board is required for this effect.
- In case of O/A levels, an equivalent certificate issued by IBCC is necessary.
- Certificate of Detailed marks sheet of FA/ FSC or Equivalent
- BA/ BSc detailed marks sheet (for Graduate Candidates)
- Computerized CNIC or B form with Copy of Father’s/ Guardian’s CNIC
- 2 duly attested recent photographs with blue background by Grade 1 Gazetted officer or Principal
- 1 set of photocopies of the above mentioned documents
- Note that old CNIC or B forms will not be accepted.
- Repeaters must bring a photocopy of ISSB “NOT RECOMMENDED” letter.
What is the Procedure of Preliminary test?
- It will be conducted on computers.
- Academic test comprises Multiple Choice Questions MCQs from English, Islamiyat, Mathematics, Pakistan Studies and General Knowledge.
What is the Selection Procedure of PMA Long Course?
Registration of candidate :- Discussed above
Preliminary test:- Discussed above
- Preliminary Selection:– Candidates who have passed Preliminary test will have a physical test (mentioned above), medical test and preliminary interview at AS&RC.
- The List of successful candidates will be displayed and call letters or emails will be sent for ISSB testing
- ISSB tests will include written/ physical/ intelligence/ psychological tests and interviews.
- ISSB recommended candidates will have a medical check up at the nearest Combined Military Hospital CMH.
- Candidates’ overall performance will be judged and final selection will be made at GHQ, Rawalpindi.
- Call letters will be issued by GHQ to the final selected candidates.
- Those who fail to pass ISSB will be issued a “NOT RECOMMEND” letter at ISSB and they will be sent back after completion of tenure of ISSB testing. These candidates will not be contacted further.
- Selected candidates will get a 2 years military training at PMA, Kakul and will be called “Cadets”
What are the facilities of PMA cadets?
- Every cadet will get a monthly stipend of PKR 31,000/-
- After deduction of mess charges etc., A cadet gets 5000 – 6000 PKR monthly
- Apart from this, PMA cadets get Accommodation blocks, gymnasium, Academy Dining Room, academy Mosque, Academy Television Room and Medical Facilities.
- You can read about each category on the official website of Pakistan Army www.joinpakarmy.gov.pk
- For other parallel courses the eligibility criteria for applying procedure might be different. You can search for it on the official website.
We hope this article helped you to learn about the admission procedure of PMA LONG COURSE.