Introduction to Army Medical College (AMC) Rawalpindi
Army Medical College has formed a national and international reputation in the last forty years.
Army Medical College has been located at Rawalpindi since its establishment in 1977. Initially, it awarded an MBBS degree to the first batch containing 100 students in 1981 with its affiliation with Quaid e Azam University. The college then got recognition by GMC-UK and became part of NUST in 1998 with a new course of Bachelor in Dental Surgery (BDS).
Since 2001, Army Medical College has been providing post graduate trainings in basic medical sciences i.e. MPhil, PhD and FCPS. Residing in the best city having the best climates (Summer, Winter, Autumn, Spring and Monsoon), the city also provides archeological sites near it.
AMC also provides residence to its students as it has five hostels for male students and two hostels for female students along with grand lecture halls, fully equipped laboratories, auditorium and seminar rooms.
Who is Eligible for Army Medical College?
- Following criteria determines the eligibility of a candidate for appearance in Army Medical College.
- Candidates having ages in between 17 years to 25 years can apply for MBBS and BDS programs at AMC.
- Marital status for the candidate at the time of application should be (unmarried) single.
- The educational criteria is FSc Pre- Medical or any equivalent degree with Biology, Physics and Chemistry as compulsory subjects.
- You must have 60% marks in Matric as well as in FSc to apply in AMC.
- At the time of application, if the candidate is waiting for the 2nd year result, he can apply on the basis of a hope certificate.
- After clearance of the test, the candidate will have an interview in the Army Medical College Rawalpindi.
- Upon successful interview, the candidate will undergo a detailed and focused medical test and if he/she is found physically unfit, he/she will be rejected.
- Candidates with weak eyesight are allowed.
Physical Eligibility Criteria
- Minimum height for males should be 5 feet 4 inches (162.5 cm)
- Minimum height for females should be 4 feet 8 inches (145 cm)
Visual and Weight Standards
- Weight and Eyesight should be according to the basic standards acceptable for commission in the Army.
How to Apply for Army Medical College?
Candidates who are willing to appear for NUMS test have to undergo registration for the test as well as through another method i.e. Medical Cadet Course
Test #01: NUMS test
It is held in different major cities of Pakistan and National Press is responsible for announcing it’s result. It takes place twice in a year i.e. August and September. A candidate has the liberty to apply for both tests as the highest/ best scored marks will be counted for the final result.
The candidates apply as civilians so there is no limit for highest criteria.
How to get registered for NUMS?
These are the simple steps to get yourself registered for NUMS.
- Visit official website of NUMS to apply on open merit or for foreign seat i.e. www.nums.edu.pk
- Register yourself by providing an authentic CNIC number or passport number. Provide an email account and set a password. Note that your CNIC should be the same as NUMS and MDCAT.
- For completing your registration form, take out the print of fee challan and submit the fee i.e. 3,000/- PKR in any branch of Habib Bank Limited HBL ( in any city of Pakistan ).
- After completion of the registration, provide your information ( personal and academic ), fill the tabs and upload scanned documents and submit the form online.
Test # 02: Medical Cadet Course
The selection criteria is different for males and females.
Boys (male cadets) undergo same test as for PMA long course i.e they take Preliminary tests that include Written, Intelligence and Physical tests. When a candidate passes the written test, he takes the physical test and initial medical test and upon clearing all tests, candidates will be shortlisted and receive a call letter for ISSB.
Upon successful passing of tests, GHQ will issue a call letter and a candidate will be announced 30,000/- PKR as monthly allowance for the next 5 years of MBBS and 4 years of BDS.
These candidates will wear Khaki uniforms for their stay in the college as they are ‘Cadets’. After completion of 5 years of MBBS or 4 years of BDS, these cadets will have a training at PMA Kakul for 6 months after which they will be awarded with the rank of ‘Captain’.
These cadets will sign a bond to serve Pakistan Army for next 13 years.
Female candidates undergo a different procedure than above. The above mentioned procedure for applying as Medical Cadets was eligible for females until 2012 but then strategies changed.
Females also signed bonds for 13 years and got a monthly allowance of 30,000/- PKR but this is not applicable now.
|110 to 120 seats for MBBS students
|20 to 60 seats for BDS students
|Half number of seats is reserved for the cadets
|Half number of seats is reserved for the cadets
Submission of Fee:
Registration fee for NUMS is 3,000/- PKR to be submitted in any branch of HBL nationwide
Tuition fee differs for each category
|13,000/- PKR per month
|3,000/- PKR per month
|10,000/- PKR per month
Hostel fee/ Accommodation charges for each cadet are 3,000/- PKR per month.
Programs you can take admission in:
There are various departments in Army Medical College. Candidates can apply for Undergraduate programmes i.e. MBBS and BDS.
For Post – Graduate Programmes such as PhD and MPhil, candidates can apply for Biochemistry, Physiology and Molecular Medicine for PhD. Candidates can apply for MPhil in Anatomy, Physiology, Biochemistry, Pharmacology, Community Medicine, Haematology, Science of Dental Materials and Molecular Medicine.
Choice of Center:
NUMS test is conducted twice a year (generally in August and September) in the major cities of Pakistan. The candidates have the liberty to provide accurate information about their city and residence and thus they are facilitated upon the choice of center.
Note that mostly one city has one center for the NUMS test.
Entry Test Merit:
The Multiple Choice Questions MCQs asked in the test comprise of four major subjects i.e. Biology, Chemistry, English and Physics. Following division shows the percentage of questions of each subject.
How to calculate NUMS aggregate?
You have to follow the following steps for calculation of NUMS aggregate:-
1) 10% marks of SSC/ Equivalent degree
Formula:- Marks obtained × 1100 × 0.10
2) 40% marks of HSSC/ Equivalent degree
Formula:- Marks obtained × 1100 × 0.49
3) 50% marks of NUMS-MDCAT
Formula:- Marks obtained × 180 × 0.50
Selection Procedure of Army Medical College Rawalpindi:
- After clearing of entrance test, the candidate undergoes following procedure for final selection
- Medical examination of short listed candidates at their nearest CMH
- Intelligence or Personality tests and interview at GHQ conducted by GHQ Selection Board for final selection
- Signing of 13 years bond to serve at Pakistan Army (the details for this section have been mentioned earlier in the article)
Following are the compulsory documents required for registration of NUMS test
- Matric result card – attested copy
- HSSC pre- medical result card – attested copy
- CNIC or B form of candidate- attested copy
- CNIC or B form of candidate’s father/ guardian – attested copy
- Latest passport size photograph of the candidate (blue background is must)
- Hafiz e Qur’an certificate issued by an authorized institute – attested copy
- Scanned copy of paid bank challan
Important Notes For Admission:
1) You can apply for registration through laptop or PC. Mobile devices do not support such applications.
2) Photocopies of required documents should be attested by Government Officers in BS -17 or above. His name and stamp should sustain his current place of duty and full designation.
3) If you have applied for rechecking and your marks in any result card have increased but the dates of application have passed, then you will not be facilitated.
4) Foreign candidates have to upload attested copies of their Equivalent certificates issued by IBCC at the time of submission of application form.
5) Receipts of documents under preparation process will not be accepted.
6) If any section of the application form is incomplete, then the application will be rejected.
7) Carefully select the priority of your field MBBS or BDS. After the formation of the final result, your priority will be considered first.
8) You cannot edit the application form after submitting it. Make sure you provide every necessary detail correctly.
9) Hafiz e Qur’an candidates have to carefully select centers for Hifz e Qur’an tests.
10) It will be convenient for you to take out the print of the application after it’s successful Submission.
We hope this article is helpful for all your queries regarding Army Medical College admission.