Written by: Mohammad Abdullah Humayun
In this article, you will know:
- What is Biomedical Engineering
- Engineering principles are applied to medicine and biology for healthcare purposes. Biomedical engineers work in a variety of fields including, but not limited to, orthopedics, rehabilitation, neurosurgery, cardiovascular systems, ophthalmology, gynecology and dentistry.
- In fact, the advent of modern medicine owes much to biomedical engineers who have pioneered many medical breakthroughs which would not be possible without their aid. One example is the pacemaker: heart pacemakers were invented by Australian engineer Dr. Mark Lidwill in 1958 and have been used ever since as an effective way to regulate an abnormal heartbeat. Prior to that point, there was no real solution for people suffering from irregular heart rates or arrhythmia.
- Biomedical engineering can also be used for medical research: in fact, some of the most essential medical research today is conducted by biomedical engineers. One example is stem cell engineering: stem cells are able to develop into any cell type and have potential for significant advancements in medicine by allowing scientists to grow new tissue and organs.
- Biomedical engineers are on the cutting-edge of technology and medicine: these are two fields that are rapidly changing on a daily basis and will continue to do so over the next few decades.
- Jobs of Biomedical Engineering in Pakistan
- Salary of Biomedical Engineer in Pakistan
- Find Out This Field is a Match for You
What is Biomedical Engineering and Biomedical Engineer Do?
Biomedical Engineering is the application of engineering principles and design concepts to medicine and biology for healthcare purposes (e.g. diagnostic or therapeutic).
This novel field applies the principles of engineering to biological sciences and health care in order to improve existing diagnostic technology.
With the advancement in information technology, biomedical engineering has progressed many folds as a field.
These days many pharmacological companies and research institutes are working on this aspect to design better products and improve the existing ones.
A career in biomedical engineering starts with matriculation and F.Sc with science subjects.
For this particular field, A level is the right choice as it gives you the liberty of studying both mathematics and biology after matriculation.
A current policy concerning F.Sc programs allows a student to pursue either mathematics or biology due to which you would have to give additional paper after annuals.
What Are the Required Skills in Biomedical Engineering?
Ability to think outside the box is of critical importance as this field often requires novel approaches to an existing problem.
A biomedical engineer is often part of a big team working on a particular project, so teamwork is essential.
You must have the ability to coordinate well with other professionals assigned to the task. Research is a vital aspect of this field.
These are the skills that lack in fresh graduates in Pakistan
- Verbal Communication (83.63%)
- Positive Attitude (71.93%)
- Team Working (64.91%)
- Critical Thinking (59.06%)
- Self Confidence (59.06%)
- Written Communication (57.31%)
- Drive &Resilience (57.31%)
- Stress Tolerance (47.37%)
- Adaptability (46.20%)
- Time Management (45.61%)
- Self-Awareness (45.03%) and Planning &Organizing (45.03%)
- Integrity (43.86%)
What Are the Career Prospects of Biomedical Engineering?
This field involves researching and designing new diagnostic tools. For example, designing new models of glucometers with better quality than the existing designs or devising a new blood pressure measuring device, etc.
This field involves assisting devices that can benefit people with disabilities. For example, prosthetic legs, synthetic joints, etc. Previously limb amputations would condemn a person to disability forever but thanks to advances in biomedical engineering now this is not the case.
- Genetic Engineering:
Genetic engineering deals with the study of the human genome and locating the particular chromosomes and loci involved in specific diseases.
- Medical Imaging:
X-ray, ultrasound, Magnetic resonance imaging, etc. are all gifts of biomedical engineering to humanity. These days due to advanced research in this field, these existing tools are being improved, and work is underway to introduce better ones with minimum side effects.
What Are the Important Points To Be a Biomedical Engineering?
- Academic Eligibility:
- Working Hours:
- Place of Work:
What are the Biomedical Engineer Salaries in Pakistan?
The average Sociologist salary in Pakistan is PKR 320,232 per year or PKR 26,600 per month. Entry level positions start at PKR 26,000 per month while most experienced workers make up to PKR 105,000 per month.
You can find Biomedical Engineering jobs in Pakistan from
- Health Care (Rs. 100,000 per month)
- FMCG (Rs. 85,571 per month)
- Home Appliances (Rs. 75,000 per month)
- Engineering (Rs. 75,000 per month)
- Group/Conglomerate (Rs. 71,676 per month)
- IT/Technology (Rs. 61,676 per month)
- Textile (Rs. 55,000 per month)
- Transport (Rs. 55,000 per month)
- Banking/Financial (Rs. 52,042 per month)
- Consulting (Rs. 52,042 per month)
- Manufacturing (Rs. 50,000 per month)
- Packaging (Rs. 50,000 per month)
What is the Future of Biomedical Engineering Jobs in Pakistan?
Go to Tool>Select Within 24 Hours, past week etc . You will be the first to apply for the job hence more chances for the job getting in the industry.
What are the Universities in Pakistan Offering Admissions in Biomedical Engineering?
|1. Air University||Islamabad|
|2. Liaquat University Of Medical And Health Sciences||Jamshoro|
|3. Mehran University Of Engineering &Technology||Jamshoro|
|4. Dow University Of Health Sciences||Karachi|
|5. Ned University Of Engineering &Technology||Karachi|
|6. University Of Engineering &Technology, Taxila||Taxila|
|7. Isra University/hospital||Hyderabad|
|8. Riphah International University||Islamabad|
|9. Barrett Hodgson University||Karachi|
|10. Hamdard University||Karachi|
|11. Sir Syed University Of Engineering &Technology||Karachi|
|12. Zia-ud-din Medical University||Karachi|
|13. University Of Engineering And Technology (sub Campus)||Kala Shah Kaku|
|14. University Of Engineering &Technology (Narowal Campus)||Narowal|
Moreover, you can call the university to confirm do they offer Biomedical Engineering or not.
What is the Trend of Biomedical Engineering in Pakistan?
Did you like the article? Do you feel something is missing in the article that I should write about? Leave your comment below, it means a lot to me 🙂