When we were kids, I remember there were times when we used to think how “cool” it would be to go into the army and serve our beautiful Pakistan.
Even today, we are so inspired by soldiers of Pak Army and their countless efforts in saving lives and protecting our motherland that one cannot just go on with their lives without saving a few breaths for including our brave soldiers in our daily prayers.
Those efforts do not go unnoticed surely. The era of today where professions and degrees mean nothing but a trend or just a status symbol, going into the army and serving our nation is a very great effort which requires utmost love and devotion from one person for their country.
In those of you who still have their dream sparked up, here is some detailed information that might help you in getting into the Pak Army.
To apply for Navy, you can visit the following site and get yourself registered www.joinpaknavy.gov.pk Once you have registered yourself, you will receive an email informing you about your roll number, test date and exam center.
Note that only the eligible participants are required to apply online. You can also apply face to face by visiting the specific army recruitment centers if it is mentioned in the newspaper.
Documents Required for Application Process:
- All original and authentic documents are required of your educational background with mark sheets and certificates.
- 4 passport-sized recent, colored photographs which should be duly attested.
- Your original CNIC/B form and your father’s/guardian CNIC/B form
- 3 photocopies of original “NOT RECOMMENDED” letter for Repeater Candidate.
- A copy of all the above mentioned documents.
Unlike different fields, which have the same criteria for various fields, Pak army has some unique rules and regulations in order to admit a candidate.
The eligibility criteria depend on the course and corps one has opted for, for example, long course has a completely different criterion than the SSRS (short service regular commission) whereas, the soldier induction has a different criterion.
Eligibility Criteria for PMA (Pakistan Military Academy):
Pakistan Military Academy is situated in Kakul, Abbottabad. This is a huge complex with multiple branches where cadets are divided during the training period.
For the selection in PMA, long course, all the citizens can apply and can be selected irrespective of their religion, cast, creed, region or color.
The training period for the long course is at least 2 years which can be longer or shorter according to the conditions and circumstances of the training process. The long course is divided into terms equally of 4 parts, each part having a duration of 6 months.
There are 2 courses per year, one starts at the beginning of the year while one begins with the end of the year. The candidates can apply in Pak Army by keeping in mind the following requirements:
All the candidates should have a citizenship of Pakistan including Azad Kashmir and State Class 1 Citizens.
For a long course, PMA selects male candidates. Whereas, females can apply for different courses such as Doctors, nurses, psychologists, engineers, software engineers, etc.
- AGE REQUIREMENTS:
For those of the civilians who have passed their intermediate or any equivalent qualification, 17-22 years of age (which is relaxable for 3 months in either upper limit or lower age limit) For those of the civilians who have at least 2-year graduate degree, 17-23 years of age. For those people who have a 4-year graduate degree should be of 17-24 years of age.
Those people who are applying for serving Pak Air force and Pak Navy personnel should be of 17-23 years of age. And lastly, those civilians who are applying for serving Pak Army personnel should be in between 17-25 years of age.
- MARITAL STATUS:
For civilians, they should be unmarried only. For serving armed forces personnel, they should be unmarried only if they are at 17-19 years of age.
And once they are 20 years of age, they could either be married or unmarried as both are eligible after this age and above.
Minimum height should be 5 feet, 4 inches (162.5 cm)
Weight should be according to BMI.
- EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS:
- The candidate should have at least 60% marks in intermediate or any other equivalent qualification like FA, ICS, FSC, I.COM etc.
- If the candidate has a 60% score in graduation degree then he/she is required to have at least 50% marks in intermediate, too.
- For those candidates who are from a specific area with domicile of that place should at least have 55% marks in an intermediate or equivalent qualification if at that time, they are studying in the area. These areas include:
- FATA, Baluchistan, Gilgit-Baltistan, Chitral, Dir, District Neelum Azad Jammu Kashmir, District Kohistan, Tehsil Balakot (Naran Kaghan) of District Mansehra, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, district Rajanpur, Tharparker and Tehsil Umer Kot in Sindh, area of Cholistan desert, Salamsar, Drawer Fort, Mojgarh and Dingarh of Punjab.
- For serving army soldiers, they are eligible if they have 50% marks in Intermediate or any other equivalent degree.
- There is also a concept of applying on the basis of Hope Certificate but they can do that with at least 60% marks in part 1 of intermediate.
INELIGIBILITY: Now that we have discussed the eligibility criteria, let’s take a look over the things which can make you ineligible to apply for Pak Army:
- It is obvious that anybody who does not fulfill the above criteria won’t be eligible to apply for Pak Army.
- If the candidate is declared medically unfit by Appeal Medical Board or Military Hospital.
- Those candidates who had once applied in the Army and were selected in any military service (army, navy, air force) but then ended up leaving the institute due to any one of the following reasons:
- The candidate has Withdrawal
- The candidate has been Discharged
- Or the candidate has resigned from his position
- He was dismissed from the academy due to issues of discipline, inefficiency, character, weak profile, medical issues, or any other reason for which the candidate is declared unsuitable.
- If the candidate was convicted by the courts due to an offense which involves moral turpitude.
- Or if the candidate was dismissed from any other government service.
Now that you have applied for the army, keeping in view the eligibility criteria, the selection process starts which covers a lot of steps including few tests along with physical and medical exams too.
At first, the candidates have to go through preliminary tests which include written as well as intelligence tests in the form of multiple-choice questions (MCQs) of the following subjects:
- Pakistan Studies
- General Knowledge
This serves as an intelligence test, those candidates who pass this test can move to the next round which is undergoing a physical and a medical exam followed by the interview held at AS and AR (Army selection and Recruitment Centers).
The physical test includes the following things: It should be noted that the entire physical test is timed and each physical activity has its time limit of its own.
- Running: you have to run a path of 1.6km in 8 minutes and 30 seconds.
- Push-ups: you have to do 15 pushups in 2 minutes exactly.
- Chin-ups: 3 chin-ups in not more than 2 minutes.
- Sit-ups: you have to do 15 sit-ups in 2 minutes.
- Ditch crossing of dimensions: the length and width would be 7 feet and 4 inches whereas the depth would be 4 feet.
The candidates who clear this test too along with preliminary test would be called out by the ISSB. Then after clearing with the ISSB, they will be talked for a detailed medical examination at CMH for Pakistan Army.
The finals selection is done by GHQ in accordance with the tests mentioned above, the performance of the candidate on whole and also some other factors. If the candidate is selected, they receive a call letter to report to PMA on a specific date to commence his training of long course in order to become a Pak Army officer.
Here is a list of courses which are offered by different departments of Pak Army, Navy and Air Force.
- PMA long course
- Technical Cadet Course
PAK AIR FORCE:
- Aeronautical Engineering
- Air Defense
- General Deputy Pilot (GDP)
- Admin and Special Duties
- Information Technology
- Education branch
- PN cadet
- Special Branch-IT
- Special Branch-Imagery
- Weapons Engineering
All of these courses are offered at different times and are also published in the local newspaper so in case you get selected for Pak Army, you just need to look out for the opportunity and grab it while you can.
When you are applying for Pak Army, make sure you are eligible and then follow the guidelines. Always remember, “be at your best and be patient.” If you do this, you can be at ease knowing that whatever profession is written for you, it will find you.
You just have to work hard and be your absolute BEST self.