Introduction of Government College University (GCU) Lahore:
GCU has spread its name as one of the biggest educational institutes in Pakistan. The oldest GCU was established in 1861 as a Government College. Due to its increased strength and fame, the college changed it’s building twice and finally settled in its present building in 1876. Presently, it owns a student body of about 12,000 students.
The student’s avail of the privilege of studying in the second-highest university of Higher Education Commission HEC. GCU has the highest graduation rate in Pakistan i.e. 95.5% per annum. The university along with its beautiful buildings, labs, seminar rooms, library, cafeteria, and well-equipped laboratories and 32 departments and 5 research centers whose main focus is to research academic, industrial, and developmental projects. The most attractive thing about GCU Lahore is its Alumni.
The national poet of Pakistan, Allama Muhammad Iqbal has been a former student of Government College University. The deep routes with the culture and bases of Pakistan profoundly aid and complement the integrity and honor of this educational institute.
Many scholars, presidents, writers, lecturers, novelists, and poets are part of the golden alumni of Government College University Lahore, this is why students around the whole country dream of becoming a part of GCU. GCU’s motto also represents the directing principle of the student body, “Courage to Know” and the torch on the logo represents the light of knowledge.
Who is Eligible for Government College University?
Every year, GCU opens its gates for students to enroll themselves in the offered programs I.e. Intermediate, Undergraduate programs, and Post Graduate programs.
There are a total of 5 faculties that run the segregation of 32 departments. The merits are different for different departments. Following instructions clear the eligibility of a candidate for admission in GCU Lahore:-
Eligibility Criteria for HSSC/ Intermediate (FA/ FSC/ ICS/ I.Com)
- The candidate must have passed matric/ SSC with 60% marks to apply in his desired choice.
- The candidate has to attach an affidavit to ensure that he has not taken admission in any other institute.
- Candidates who have passed SSC (tech) are not eligible for applying.
- The college will schedule the interview and eligible students will be called.
Admission in HSSC/ Intermediate:
- Admission will be granted upon merit and basic rules and regulations of the university policy.
- The university has the authority to reject incomplete admission forms without informing the student.
- If the presented documents are caught fake or contain any kind of error, the university has the right to cancel the admission or migration even if the procedure has been completed and admission or migration has been granted.
- Candidates can apply online by filling and submitting the application form online.
- Candidates must submit the hard copy of the application form by taking a print out.
- Hard copy should be submitted to the admission office of GCU Lahore.
- If the hard copy is submitted after the admission deadline, then the candidate will not be entertained and admission will be rejected.
For Sports Based & Co-Curricular Activities Admissions:
- All other forms are attached with the prospectus.
- If the candidate applies for sports-based category/ co-curricular activities/ special category, he should fill the respective form and submit it with the application form.
- Other forms will be submitted to the authorized bank along with the general application form.
Interview Of the Students:
- Stay updated on the GCU Website and GCU notice board, as the list of the eligible students will be displayed online and on the notice board.
- The selected students for the interview have to bring their father/ guardian on the scheduled day.
- If a candidate fails to be available on the Interview day, then he will lose the chance.
- However, if there is any seat available or the Vice-Chancellor permit the student, then he can be interviewed (providing valid proof of unavailability is mandatory).
- The final list of selected candidates will be updated online as well as on university notice boards.
- Candidates will be selected after the fulfillment of all the formalities.
- Fees should be deposited within the due date.
- If a candidate fails to deposit the fee, he will lose his admission.
- Candidates who applied for sports-based/ co-curricular activities/ special category cannot submit the certificate after the admission dates are closed.
- The candidates who applied for the sports-based / co-curricular activities category have to undergo trials/ tests on the scheduled dates.
- The candidates who applied for the sports-based / co-curricular activities category have to submit an affidavit (with application form) ensuring that they will participate in sports and co-curricular activities respectively.
- If they don’t practice regularly, their admission will be canceled.
Admission on Sports Based:
Students can apply on the basis of their sports for getting admission to GCU. The sports include Cricket, football, basketball, handball, hockey, volleyball, rowing, gymnastics, wrestling, etc. The students can look upon the prospectus for more details.
- Candidates have to attach attested copies of sports certificates with their admission forms. Late submission of form will not be entertained.
- Candidates applying on a sports basis cannot represent or play in any Government, Semi- government or private institution/ club. Upon the consent of Director Sports, they can play on district, national, or provincial level. An affidavit upon this will be attached with the admission form. Breaking the rules will result in the suspension of the student.
- Students waiting for results (O level/ Equivalent/ SSC) can apply for a sports basis but they have to undergo a sports trial as well. After submission of the awaited result, they will be granted admission.
- The candidates will have a trial on the scheduled date and the selected candidates will be called for an interview. In case of absence, they will lose their admission.
On the directions of Director Sports, candidates can be granted fee concession or scholarship by the Vice-Chancellor. They can also grant proxy relaxation for exams.
Admission on Co-Curricular Activities:
Students applying in FA/ ICS / I.COM can apply in the following activities:-
- English Debate
- Urdu Debate
- Qirat/ Naat
Forms will be submitted along with the admission form.
Admission for Special Categories
Azad Jammu & Kashmir and Northern Areas:
- The candidates can submit their form against the reserved seats through the DCO of the respective District/ Secretary Nomination Board, Azad Kashmir, Muzaffarabad / Secretary Nomination Board, Northern Areas (as the case may be).
- Candidates must have passed SSC from the school in the respective area.
- The candidates have no specific age limit.
- They must write ” Special Candidate” on the top right corner of the admission form.
- They must attach their “Disability Certificate” issued by the District Disability Board or District Assessing Board along with the admission form.
- Candidates from FATA have to send their admission applications through States and FR Division, Islamabad (within due date).
- Candidates must have passed SSC from the school in FATA.
Fine Arts (Eligibility Criteria):
- Students must have passed SSC with a minimum of 45% marks in SSC.
- The students have to undergo a Drawing test.
- Students who applied for Fine Arts on open merit also have to take the drawing test.
- The selected students will opt for the subject combination issued by the University.
Candidates from Abroad have to send their admission applications through the Foreign Ministry of Education, Islamabad, Pakistan (within due date).
- The selected candidates will pay a fee in US Dollars.
- Directly submitted admission forms to the university admission office will be rejected.
Hafiz- E- Qur’an:
- The students have to submit a certificate from the Madarassa from where he has completed his Hifz- E- Qur’an.
- The candidates will have an oral test before admission.
- The selected candidate will be awarded 20 marks in addition to his obtained marks in SSC/ O Level/ Equivalent to determine the merit for admission.
- Seats are reserved for the students who are close relatives are either the alumni or present teachers/ students at the University.
- Kinship includes Parents, Paternal and Maternal Grandparents, and real siblings.
- Candidates have to produce documentary evidence to this effect.
- Candidates will be awarded marks i.e. Grandparents and Parents – 05 marks & real siblings- 03 marks.
- Marks obtained in SSC/ O Level/ Equivalent will be converted to decimals. Then he awarded marks and the marks obtained in the test will be added to determine the merit.
- For example 700 marks (obtained in either) = 70.0 + 03 + 08= 81
O Level/ Equivalent:
Students who have passed O level or Equivalent instead of SSC, their grades will be converted according to the following formula: A*: 95 marks A: 85 marks B: 75 marks C: 65 marks D: 55 marks E: 45 marks
- Students who have passed these 5 subjects with additional to any other 3 subjects are eligible i.e. English, Urdu, Mathematics, Islamiyat, and Pakistan studies.
- O level or Equivalent students cannot apply along with the Board’s Matriculation Results. A separate advertisement will invite them to apply.
- The admission will be confirmed after the submission of the result issued by IBCC.
- Students must have a minimum 60% mark in SSC/ O level/ Equivalent.
- Their parents must be Pakistani, either running a business overseas or doing a job. In the case of a foreign job, the student must submit the certificate from that effect.
- The applicant has to attach these followings with the admission form:-
1) 4 Recent photographs – duly attested 2) 4 attested copies of SSC/ O level/ Equivalent result 3) One attested character certificate from the previous institute 4) The proof of employment with the residential status claiming that the parent is employed in a foreign country 5) If the parent runs a business, along with the residential status 6) 1 attested copy of Father’s CNIC • The candidate will pay a fee in US Dollars Equivalent to PKR 110,000/- at the time of admission as an additional due to the admission fee of 1st and 2nd year • If the candidate does not deposit the fee in the said time, he will lose his admission.
Provinces are other than Punjab:
- The students who are from provinces other than Punjab and applied against the reserved seats will send their admission form to the University Admission Office through the concerned Provincial Government.
- They must send their domicile along with the admission form.
- Students who have passed SSC from the school located in the respective Province are eligible for the admission.
- 1% quota is reserved for the Minorities given that they fulfill the merit requirements.
- Candidates must attach their religious certificates.
- A student can get migrated to GCU if:
- Transfer of patent’s residence
- Marks of the candidate are not below the university’s open merit.
- Students who passed their SSC/ O Level/ Equivalent before 2016 are not eligible for migration.
- Students from local colleges cannot be migrated to GCU Lahore
- Students migrating from other cities will not be facilitated with hostels.
- The students will pay full university dues at the time of migration.
- Students can visit the official website of Government College University in order to obtain the prospectus or online admission forms for Intermediate, Undergraduate and postgraduate level i.e. http://www.gcu.edu.pk