Introduction to CSS
CSS stands for the Central Superior Services or Bureaucracy. It holds the power to run Civil Bureaucratic Operations and government secretariats and directorates of the Cabinet of Pakistan. With the establishment of Pakistan, the Indian Civil Service marked it’s grounds as “Civil Service of Pakistan”. The final authority that governs the Civil Service is the Prime Minister of Pakistan.
With the association with the Armed Forces of Pakistan, the Civil Service is concerned for national security. Each year, it selects worthy candidates to be a part of Civil Service through examination. The selection is based upon merit, education, experience, education and quota system. The highest rank that an officer of Civil Service can attain is BSP- 22 grade.
The CSS examinations are held without any sex discrimination and are held in the initial months of every year. The Federal Public Service Commission is responsible for conduction and supervision of the CSS examinations. It is the hardest examination as the pass ratio has never exceeded above 5% in the history of Pakistan while thousands of participants apply each year.
Eligibility Criteria to Apply for CSS Examinations
- The candidate must have a Bachelor’s degree with a minimum of 2nd Division.
- The Bachelor’s degree must be obtained from a Pakistani University or Equivalent degree from a foreign university.
- Candidates who have attained D grade or Third Division in their bachelor degree (semester system) are allowed to appear given that they achieve higher grades in Masters degrees.
- The candidate must have Pakistani Nationality (citizen of Pakistan).
- Disable candidates are allowed to apply for the examination.
- The age limit to apply is 21 to 28 years old. However, a relaxation of 2 years can be granted in some special cases.
- Age relaxation i.e. up to 30 years can be granted to those candidates who have already completed Government Service for 2 years.
- Age relaxation i.e. up to 30 years can be granted to those candidates who belong to Remote areas (as defined by the Government).
- Males and Females both can apply.
Ineligibility Criteria to apply for CSS Examinations
- Candidates who have attained lower than 2nd Division are not allowed to appear in CSS Examinations.
- Candidates who have failed or attempted 3 times cannot appear for the 4th time in CSS Examinations. That is only 3 chances are provided to the Candidates.
CSS Examinations Schedule
|Online Application Submission Period||Month of October|
|Hard Copy of Application Submission Period||Month of November|
|Test Date||Month of February|
How to Apply for CSS Examinations
The candidate has to follow the following instructions to apply for CSS Examinations.
Applying Online is mandatory for the candidates. The candidates have to go to the official website of CSS to get themselves registered i.e. www.fpsc.gov.pk
Fill in the required information accurately (Personal information, Bank details, choice of subjects, CNIC number, Educational information and experience details).
After filling the correct information, click on “SUBMIT”. You will receive a confirmation e- mail.
The e-mail will also have a tracking ID of your application (to check the status of the application).
Application form’s print out can be obtained by clicking on “Take Printout” with the help of CNIC number and tracking ID (provided in the email).
After submission of the registration form, a challan form will appear.
Take a print out and submit the fee in the relevant bank (written on the challan form).
The fee has to submit in the Government Treasury/ State Bank of Pakistan/ National Bank of Pakistan under the account head “CO2102 – Organs of State Exam Fee” (FPSC Receipt)
Take a print out of the Application form.
Submit the hard copy of the Application form along with the attested copies of required documents and originally paid fee challan to FPSC Headquarters, Islamabad through courier. The documents and application form will not be accepted in hard copy if the due date has passed. The application will already be considered Rejected.
Required Documents for CSS Examinations
The following documents (attested copies) have to be sent with the hard copy of the application form.
- Attested copies of educational degree/ certificates
- Paid fee challan
- Recent attested photographs with blue background
- Experience certificate (if applicable)
If an applicant has applied for age relaxation, he/ she should submit the relevant certificate, duly filled in by the concerned authorities.
Note:- All such certificates are available on the official website of FPSC.
Centers for CSS Examinations
CSS examinations are held in various cities of Pakistan e.g. Karachi, Lahore, Peshawar, Abbottabad, Islamabad, Bahawalpur, D. G. Khan, D. I. Khan, Haiderabad, Faisalabad, Gilgit, Multan, Gujranwala, Khuzdar, Larkana, Okara, Rawalpindi, Muzaffarabad, Quetta, Sargodha, Sialkot and Sukkur etc.
Whereas, interviews are held in only 5 cities of Pakistan i.n. Lahore, Islamabad, Karachi, Quetta and Peshawar.
Fee Criteria for CSS Examinations
|Registration fee||PKR 2,200/-|
|Rechecking fee||PKR 500/-|
Government Services to be applied after clearing CSS Examinations
The candidates who pass the CSS examination can apply in the following Government Services i.e. Commerce and Trade Services, District Management Group, Foreign Service of Pakistan, Custom and Excise Service, Information Group, Income Tax Group, Office Management Group, Military Lands and Cantonments Group, Police Service of Pakistan, Postal Service Group, Pakistan Audit and Accounts Service and Railways (Commercial and Transportation Group)
Structure of CSS Examinations
The CSS examination comprises of 4 parts
- Theory test – composed of 12 papers (6 compulsory and 6 optional) . 40% marks are required to pass compulsory papers and 33% marks are required to pass optional papers.
- Medical test
- Psychological test – It judges mental aptitude, attitude and behavior of the candidate.
- Viva Voice – it carried 300 marks along with Psychological test
Candidates can stay updated about CSS exam through Facebook, by following the link:-
We hope this article provides the required information about How to Get Admission in CSS Examination.