By Kh. M. Haris Naveed
Ready to prepare for IELTS exams and don’t know how to prepare for it?
Then you are in luck. Today we are going to go through some of the IELTS preparation tips that help you achieve high scores. This explanation will entail in-depth knowledge about each tip.
IELTS Preparation Tips
To start off this topic, you must be aware of what the IELTS exam is. If you don’t possess such knowledge then you can simply click down on the image below which will take you to the IELTS article.
Click on the image to check the article.
If you know about IELTS then we should move on to the main topic.
The IELTS exam is a very tough one. It stands for the International English Language Test System. This can prove to be very difficult to attain a good score band in this test.
To prepare yourself, there are a few tips that can prove very useful during the preparation for the IELTS exam. These tips are as follows:
1. Learn About the Exam:
Let’s start off with the most basic tip that is to know what you are getting into. You must gather knowledge regarding the exam. The things to look are:
- Content: This will consist of the 4 sections that are Listening, Writing, Reading and Speaking.
- Format: You must be aware of how the questions in the exams will be given to you.
- Timing: How much time will be available and how many questions you could solve in the given time.
- Scoring: The total score that is available and how much you can attain those scores.
- FAQs: As the knowledge regarding the exam increases, there can also arise a lot of questions. That is why you must know the answers regarding the basic questions of the exam.
If you are successful in accumulating information regarding the IELTS exam, then it can prove to be very beneficial in your preparations.
2. Decide the Type of Exam:
The IELTS exam has two basic types which you choose according to your purpose of visiting the other country. It is very crucial to choose because if not chosen correctly it can prove to be a source of difficulty while applying.
The two types of IELTS exam is as follows:
- Academic: For admission to a college/ University.
- General Training: This is for the purpose of applying for a job or immigration to the country.
There is not much difference in them during the exam except in the writing section. If you have chosen an academic type then you will be given an essay to write. On the other hand, if you choose to take a general training type then you will be given a letter.
That is why it is necessary to know which type of exam you want to take beforehand.
3. Have Realistic Goals During Preparation:
During the preparation, you must be aware of the goals that you can attain. You must be aware of your limitations and the difficulty of the exam. You must keep these things in mind while setting your goals.
The things you have to keep in mind are:
- Decide the band score that you can achieve during the exam.
- The level of your English you currently possess and the increase it by practicing your English and IELTS skills.
- The total time that you require for the preparation of the exam.
If you are able to keep these three things in mind while your preparation then you will be able to handle the tasks in the exam accordingly.
4. Knowing the Requirements of Your Aimed Band Scores:
You would obviously have a score in mind that you want to achieve. That is why it is necessary to know what the requirements for that score are.
It is obvious that the more effort you put in preparation for the IELTS exam the better score band you will achieve. For this purpose, you must be aware of your limitations and also have the knowledge of whether or not you could achieve that score.
5. Learn Tips and Tricks for the Questions:
It is completely possible that you may face a few bumps while preparing for the exam. That is why it will be very beneficial if you could learn a few question-solving tricks or come up with your own.
This can improve your time as well as help you solve a question with more efficiency.
6. Practice Common Vocabulary:
Vocabulary is one of the most important things in learning the English language. If you are not aware of the proper vocabulary then it will become hard during the exam.
The Writing and speaking part of the exam requires that you must have a good grasp of the common vocabulary. By attaining good control over such skill your level of English will surely increase.
7. Develop Your English Skills Through a Variety of Sources:
The 4 sections in the IELTS exam will include:
These sections also are the 4 basic ways that one can improve any language, not only English. That is why it is necessary that you are able to perform well in all of the 4 categories.
There are a few ways that you can increase your level of English while also enjoying yourself. These ways are as given below:
- Watch documentaries.
- Listen to the BBC news.
- Try watching new scientific/English related shows.
- Listen to the radio.
These are some of the ways that one can improve its English language. This way you can easily improve all of your 4 skills that are also the parts of the exam.
8. Use Practice Tests for Listening and Reading:
Listening and reading parts are the ones that require the least effort in the exam but it does not mean that they in any way easy. That is why you need to improve them by using some practice tests.
The tests in this book are very good and can easily enhance both your listening and reading skills.
9. Enhance Speed and Time Management for Reading and Writing:
The time management in IELTS is very important because if not done correctly can become a cause of trouble in solving the complete exam. The most time-consuming sections are the reading and writing sections.
To avoid such a problem you must practice both the reading and writing skills as much as you can. The faster you are in reading and writing the less time you will consume that is why it is important to practice both the skills as much as you can.
10. For Speaking and Writing Get Help from Professional Teachers:
The speaking and writing sections can’t be practiced alone. It is best to consult a professional IELTS teacher for this so that they can assess your level of ability in these sections and help you find your weaknesses.
The professional will also guide you through all the dos and don’ts of the IELTS exam. They also provide some insight regarding how the exam will be held.
The best tip that I think for the IELTS exam is that only take this when you think that your preparation is at 100%. The time required for each person can vary, that is why it is necessary to take your time in the exam.
These were the IELTS Preparation Tips that I think is the best for the preparation of the exam. Hopefully, you will benefit from them as much as you can.